Get to know D.C.
D.C. Stats and Fun Facts
- Capital: It is the capital of the United States.
- Mayor: Anthony Williams (to January 2004) (D).
- Entered the Union: February 21, 1871 (as a municipal corporation)
- Motto: Justitia omnibus (Justice to all)
- Flower: American Beauty rose
- Tree: Scarlet Oak
- Bird: Wood Thrush
- Sports Teams:DC Freedom (Women's Soccer); DC United (Men's Soccer); Washington Capitals (Hockey); Washington Mystics (Women's Basketball); Washington Redskins (Football); Washington Wizards (Men's Basketball)
- Origin of Name: The district is named after Christopher Columbus
- Major Industries: Federal government, tourism
- Land Area: 68.25 square miles (177 square kilometers)
- Altitude: Highest, 420 ft.; lowest, sea level
- Average Daily Temperature: Jan., 35.2 degrees F; July, 78.9 degrees F
- Population: 572,059
Female: 302,693; (52.9%); Male: 269,366 (47.1%)
American Indian and Alaska Native: 1,713 (0.3%); Asian: 15,189 (2.7%); Black: 343,312 (60.0%);Hispanic/Latino: 44,953 (7.9%); Other race: 21,950 (3.8%); Two or more races: 13,446 (2.4%); White: 176,101 (30.8%)
2000 percent population 18 and over: 79.9%; 65 and over: 12.2%; median age: 34.6
For more information, see the U.S. Census Bureau.