The Historical Society offers seasonal internships for college students and recent graduates. Our Summer 2013 internship application period has closed. Please check back for more opportunities.
The Historical Society of Washington, D.C. is looking for volunteer docents to staff the exhibition Window to Washington. The exhibition will be open through the end of October. Window to Washington is open Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursdays 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and one Saturday a month. Docents will be expected to serve as public ambassadors, interacting directly with visitors to educate and answer questions about the exhibition.
Docent Responsibilities include:
- Open the Gallery for viewing and carry out all procedures for opening and closing per the established checklist
- Welcome and direct visitors to the exhibition gallery
- Answer questions and provide additional information about the history of Washington, D.C. and the Historical Society's collections
- Assist in providing security for the collections on exhibit in coordination with the building security team. Follow institutional procedures
- Track the number of visitors who tour the exhibit daily and gather additional information on how they heard about the exhibit and the Historical Society
- Provide feedback by soliciting written and/or verbal comments from visitors
Interested applicants should contact Jennifer Krafchik, Director of the Kiplinger Research Library, at email@example.com.